Brú Garda Youth Diversion Project is a specialist programme. It supports young people aged 12-17years. It focuses on making decisions around their behaviour and diverting them from criminal activity. We work with young people who have been referred to us by;
- a Juvenile Liaison Officer
- Community Gardai
- or by other local agencies.
The Youth Justice Workers engage with young people. They provide alternatives to the Irish Court system processing the young person. We use a range of methods to work with young people including
- 1-1 support,
- educational support,
- recreational activities,
- skills based learning
- and any other interventions that will be beneficial.
These projects run in co-ordination with An Garda Siochana and the Irish Youth Justice Service. The European Social Fund* funds the Diversion projects of Ireland.
* as part of the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020
The Project Aims To:
- Facilitate programmes that support participant’s personal development.
- Engage in positive activities. Providing a fun and crime free environment for young people to grow.
- Encourage participants’ personal, community and social responsibility.
- Improve long term employment prospects.
- Where offending behaviour has occurred provide intervention programmes.
- Improve the relationship between participants, the wider community and An Garda Siochana.